Sunday, June 10, 2007

My recovering foot in June


It is now june and my foot is finally off the bandage. Hooray! has been off since Wed and I have been able to shower with my foot not in a plastic bag at last. there was so much like dead skin to slowly scrub off, I spent quite a considerable amount of time in the shower stall, sat on the floor in concentration, washing my foot....


anyway, the foot is well on its way to being better, but still very stiff and kinda swollen. Esp after a day of walking around, to going to and fro work etc. Which brings me to my next point.


People in Singapore are a SELFISH, UNCARING LOT (well, most at least). Nothing to do with race, or religion or height or weight, or age. It is only after I am temporarily handicapped that I realised people can be so .... cold. ok, I may look young, or rest of my body is fine, but hey, I am in a special platform shoe (left foot only) and hobbling on a crutch! let me give you a summary of my journey to and from work for my last one week:


fri, 1 June:

Bus to work: found a seat

MRT to work: stood in front of a seat with "give up seat sign", IT guy looks up from comic, gives a once over and continues w comic, next middle-age guy cannot be bothered, so I stood for 3 stops w crutches. third seat becomes avail and someone else GOES for the seat, but nice young lady next to me, tapped her shoulder and pointed in my direction, I thank her and got my seat.

MRT to Home: Was stood near door of 2 seaters on crowded train, maybe the ones sitting could not see me cos of the opaque advertising stickers. so I lean there for a while, someone gets up to go and Indian lady who could see me all the while, went for the seat, sat 2 stops and by now, I just went for it! No one is going to take that from me!


Mon, 4 June:

Bus to work: found seat

MRT to work: stood in front of a row of commuters, all too engrossed in mobile or pretending... lady finally looks up and gives me her seat after 1 stop of standing. Thank you.

MRT to Home: Stood all the way home on crowded train.


Tues, 5 June:

Bus to work: no seat cos the nearer seats to door occupied by middle age aunties who think they DESERVE to sit cos of their MATURITY. Bus uncle asks me if i am ok and be careful, one point for him.

MRT to work: Someone gave up her seat for me and some China guy WENT for it cos he was directly in front of seat, until the lady said it was for me! Incredulous! one point for nice lady.

MRT to Home: Stood almost half the journey in crowded train and 2 lady friends were asking me to go get a seat, but i was resigned to fate and just smiled and said ok, cos it was crowded to wiggle my way to a non-guaranteed seat. by midway, one of the ladies, shuffled in the crowded train and stubbed my injured foot! she was apologetic and immediately proceeded to shove me towards a row of seats and made a guy commuter take notice and he gave up his seat saying: sorry, he did not see me earlier.


Anyway, you get the idea, I do not wish to talk abt wed, thurs and fri, except there was a lot of standing and rushing into trains. Generally, bus drivers were the nicer lot as they tried to pull up where i was standing and told me not to rush.


some people, really... *shake head, sigh*.



No comments: