It has been 2 weeks and 2 days exactly since i arrived home from UK. Been too lazy and slack to blog, not to mention going online these days is a matter of fine timing at home. My 2 sisters are constantly using their respective laptops, which I have to borrow to use.
Weather has been unbearably warm and humid, making tennis sessions a torture, despite my will to exercise. Someone should build an indoor air-con tennis court, or build one of those humidifiers, i think they are called. those machines that spray really fine mist, they have them at Swensens i think.
Now sitting at home, feeling drowsy on this Mon afternoon, trying very hard to accomplish some work, or rather create some work for myself. Currently working for my aunt, helping to organise an event in Nov, and after that, I will be jobless once more. Not that i am complaining. It's a long story which i will try to summarise for the benefit of my readers (which i think is me, myself and I.....). Agreed to helping her out for 3 months till Jan 05, however the strain of working with my sister as well is just too unbearable altho we have yet to come head to head, which would surely happen if i had stayed on. So i decided to admit that I hv made a mistake committing to this job and cut short the discomfort for me and my sis (who i think secretly agrees that i should not hv taken up this post in the first place, cos of our relationship and proximity at home). It is hard to tell friends that there is nothing to be envious about me working from home. Instead I can list many cons. Working at home requires a lot of discipline, you are in the same environment 24 hours, there are many distractions as such the radio, the BED, personal emails begging to be replied, granny watching Taiwanese soaps in the background, no aircon, no colleagues to chat or gossip with, no team to brainstorm or discuss with, and last of all, imagine having your sister as your "colleague" at home, both still dressed in pajamas and with the overnight hairstyle...
It is now a joke with me and my younger sis, that we refer to my elder sis as my "colleague" during my "office hours". Because everything is so flexible, i feel even more compelled to work extra hard at home and not slack, as compared to my previous job, where i could openly inform my team mates that I will be taking a half hour nap and so please do not disturb me! Sigh..... i brought this upon myself and so should not blame anyone, should have known better that this combination was not going to work.
Anyhow, I will keep to my word and finish up at least one event and then start all over again. After Dec 04 that is, cos my ang-mo boyfren will be visiting in Dec. Speaking of which, it is either me or there are a lot more mixed couples in Singapore these days. Maybe now that I am seeing a foreigner, I tend to notice more "SPGs" around and think if i will be labelled that if I am seen in public with Andy. Who knows, being a SPG might come with perks as well, such as being served in public places a lot quicker, getting more attention from service staff who seem to always aim to please foreigners more than their own countrymen.
If only I could make a living blogging, i would. I have so much to say, but just too lazy to do so, unless i am paid for it of cos.
I am constantly mentioning this phrase these days - "quality of life", that is what i aim to achieve. High level jobs with lots of stress no longer appeal to me, you can say I have set my standard lower. My younger sis, who is also my confidante (not by choice at most times), will tell you that her sister who has a marketing degree wants to now serve coffee at Starbucks or be a despatch driver. It just seems like a waste of my life if I am constantly working and striving to climb some corporate ladder and feeling stressed even when not at work. What is point when i only start to enjoy life after retirement, when i have all that money, but no strength or desire to do my own things. Many will think that I am crazy or just finding an excuse for my laziness, but it is my life and I bear the consequences to my own decisions, so who are they to say what I should or should not do?
I have already made many mistakes in my very short-career in my 27 years, many of which i think i made the right decision to leave after finding out that they did not suit me, cos i would be more and more miserable if i had stayed on to prove that they might work or just for the money. It is easy to sound noble on this blog and say that I want a quality of life now, so watch this blog for the coming entries and see what happens to my very unpredictable career.
Who knows, I might be serving your very low-fat, decaff mocha with whip cream at Starbucks...
Monday, October 11, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hi tam... keep the blogs coming... can you make your fonts bigger? me going blind alreadi :) hahahs
Post a Comment